Translations of documents into Italian
This Consulate DOES NOT provide translation services. All translations submitted to this Consulate must be done by an ATIO certified translator whose signature is on file at the Consulate (list of translators – link will open in a new tab).
Legalization of official Canadian documents to be used in Italy
The Consulate of Italy will legalize the signature of public officials or professionals certified to practice activities of public nature (ATIO certified translators, lawyers, notaries public, doctors, etc.) for such documents to be valid in Italy. Direct legalization is possible only if the signature of the professional/public official is already on file with this Office (click here for a list of professionals whose signature is on file here).
If you need to legalize official Canadian documents to use them in Italy, you may have to apply first for authentication services provided by Canadian Authorities before submitting them to the Consulate (please visit the website of Global Affairs Canada for more information), if such documents are not signed by a professional with signature on file at this Consulate. Authentication services provided by Provincial Offices of Ontario, Manitoba and North West Territories are also accepted. Please refer to the Global Affairs Canada link above for more information on Provincial Authentication Services.
The following are some examples of documents that can be authenticated by Global Affairs Canada and Provincial Authentication Services:
- Vital certificates (birth, marriage, death)
- School or academic certificates and diplomas, provided that they are authenticated by a notary
- Certificate of non-impediment to marriage
- Translations of legal documents, RCMP criminal record checks, medical reports, provided that they are certified, signed or sealed by a Canadian lawyer, solicitor, notary or commissioner of oaths whose signature is not already registered at this office
- All documents issued by a federal or provincial authority, provided that they are signed by an official of that particular government and include the signing officer’s title.
Upon obtaining the authentication of Global Affairs Canada or the relevant Provincial Office, you can apply for a legalization at this Consulate. Your application with the originals to be legalized should be sent by post to:
Consulate General of Italy
136 Beverley Street
Toronto, M5T 1Y5, ON
For information on consular fees due for legalization services, kindly contat firstname.lastname@example.org in advance.