This site uses technical and analytics cookies.
By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies.

Other Parent’s Consent

Passport for Parents of Minor Children

1) Under the provisions of art. 20 of Decree Law No. 69 of June 13, 2023, an adult with minor children no longer needs to obtain the consent of the other parent for the issuance of his/her own passport.
Parents applying for their own passport will have to fill out Section B of their passport application form, in order to declare that they are not the recipient of any injunction or other passport-inhibiting court orders.

To the contrary, provisions remain unchanged in case of issuance of passports in favor of minor children.

Passport or Electronic Identity Card (CIE) for minors

2) In order to apply for their children’s passport, a parent must always obtain the other parent’s consent, even if separated, estranged, divorced, common law or in case of adoption.

If both parents are EU nationals, it will be sufficient that both parents sign the application form and submit it along with a photocopy of their European passport or valid photo ID (include page with signature) of the EU country of citizenship.

On the other hand, if the other parent is not an EU national, they must attend the Consulate (or any other authorized office) in person with their passport, in order to sign the consent form.

Signature must be authenticated by an officer at the Consulate General or by an Honorary Vice Consul and the authentication is subject to consular fees (Art. 24 – Click here to see Consular Fees).

As an alternative, it is also possible to have the signature authenticated by a lawyer whose own signature is filed with this Consulate, in which case, the lawyer’s signature will be legalized by this Consulate and consular fees apply as well (Art. 69 – Click here to see Consular Fees).

If the other parent’s consent cannot be obtained, a Decreto del Giudice tutelare signed by the Consul General acting as Judge supervising a guardianship will be issued.

The relevant application form MUST BE SENT BY POST to the attention of the Passport Office of the Consulate General of Italy, 136 Beverley Street, M5T 1Y5, Toronto, ON, or hand-delivered on the day of the appointment.

Please be aware that if you hand-deliver the application form for a Decreto del Giudice Tutelare (Consular Decree), your passport will not be issued on the same day of the appointment and you will have to allow for extra-time in processing your application. The Consulate will have to attempt to contact the non-applying parent and will assess the application based on the best interest of the child. The Consul General in Toronto acts as a Judge supervising a guardianship for minors residing and registered in the Toronto consular jurisdiction (Manitoba, Northwest Territories and most of Ontario with some exceptions listed above).

If one of the parents is deceased, their original death certificate will need to be submitted.

Consent is always necessary even when applying for the issuance of an Italian Identity Card (CIE) in favor of a minor.


Consent form for passport (for minors)

Consent form for CIE (for minors)

Form to request a Decreto del Giudice Tutelare (Judge supervising guardianship) for passport

Form to request a Decreto del Giudice Tutelare – Identity Card