This site uses technical, analytics and third-party cookies.
By continuing to browse, you accept the use of cookies.

Declaration of Value for School Titles, Diplomas, Degrees

PLEASE, NOTE: As of January 11, 2024, the Hague Convention on the Apostille entered into effect in Canada. Canadian Authorities have changed the procedures for authenticating Canadian certificates and documents to be used abroad. In many cases, the double step (Global Affairs Canada or Provincial Service authentication and Consulate legalization) will no longer be necessary; instead, the Apostille issued by the relevant Canadian offices will suffice. Click here to know more about the Apostille.

A “Dichiarazione di Valore” (DV), which literally translates as statement/declaration of value, is an official document written in Italian and issued by the Italian authority of the country where you have studied. It is required to verify the authenticity of the academic credentials obtained abroad and their correspondence into the Italian educational system. A DV also provides information about the validity of the qualification concerned in the country where the applicant studied, confirms the legal status and nature of the awarding institution and indicates the length of the program/s concerned.

All students who want to study in Italy and those who need to have their credentials recognized in Italy for any other purpose, must therefore obtain a Dichiarazione di Valore.

If the applicant moves to Italy to continue to study without having obtained a prior diploma, upon request, the Consulate can issue a Consular Declaration (CD) that states both his/her attendance and any credits earned or, depending on the circumstances, the legalization of the school document.

Here follows a suggested step by step guide on how to request it:

1) Find the Italian Consulate under whose territorial jurisdiction your school/university is located;

2) If you need to deal with the Consulate General of Italy in Toronto, download the appropriate form to request the DV, CD or legalization of the school document;

3) Find here a list of documentation required for different categories of DV or CD.  You will have to make copies. The Consulate does not make photocopies. The final qualification and transcript must be apostillized. Keep reading for further information on the requirement of the Apostille.

4) Obtain from the school/college/university you have attended the original transcripts and final qualification (secondary school diploma/Bachelor, Master, Ph.D., etc.);

5) Contact the Italian school/university or employer to find out if they require translations of diploma and transcript. If that is the case, please contact one of the certified translators whose specimen of signature is filed at this Consulate.

6) The procedure is free of charge if the DV/CD requested is to be used for study purposes (please attach documentation to prove the purpose). For any other use (i.e. recognition of academic credentials or working purposes), a consular fee  (art. 66N) will apply. Kindly note that if translations are required, the Consulate may have to legalize the translator’s signature. A consular fee for each legalization applies (art. 69 per each legalization).

7)If you are unsure of the overall amount due, send an email to If you know the exact amount due, prepare and include in the envelope that you will send to the Consulate a money order or bank draft made out to the Consulate General of Italy in Toronto.

8) Once you have gathered all the above documents (i.e. school report/secondary school diploma/Bachelor degree/Master degree /transcript, translations if required), you can send them by mail, along with a copy of your passport and a money order for the relevant consular fee (if applicable), to:
Consulate General of Italy
136 Beverley Street
Toronto, M5T 1Y5, ON
School Office
Make sure to include in your envelope another prepaid and preaddressed envelope as we will return the Declaration of Value by mail with the prepaid envelope. Kindly note that all return expenses must be borne by the applicant.
If you use a courier services, you may have to choose the option “freight collect”, a shipping arrangement where the consignee (customer or final recipient) is responsible for paying shipping charges upon delivery. If you reside outside of Canada, we recommend you use a courier service such as Canada XpressPost, FedEx, DHL or UPSThe Consulate will not be able to return your declaration of value and your original documents unless a pre-paid and pre-addressed envelope is provided.

9) If you have exceptionally lodged your application for a declaration of value in person (based on an agreement with the relevant School Office), you will be contacted when the DV/CD is ready to be picked up.

Usually this procedure requires up to 6 weeks.

If you have sent everything by mail, as mentioned under point 8), we will use your prepaid envelope to ship everything back to you. All original documentation will be returned to the applicant.


The DV/CD provides a short description of a given academic or professional qualification awarded by an institution located in a foreign country with a different educational system compared to the Italian one.

As such, the DV/CD by itself does not give proof of someone’s competence and/or professional skills acquired through the qualification. Although the document is considered by the Italian authorities a reliable and official source of information pertaining to the academic credentials obtained abroad, the presentation of a DV/CD does not pre-empt the right by the receiving institution/office/school to carry out further independent verifications, for instance through a detailed examination of the official transcript.

For information please send an e-mail


As of January 11, 2024, the Convention of The Hague on the Apostille entered into effect in Canada. This means that Global Affairs Canada and Provincial Authentication Services will no longer authenticate public documents or other notarized private documents. Instead, they will issue an Apostille (a certificate that will accompany the original document it refers to). The Apostille eliminates steps required to get documents accepted in countries where the convention is in effect (including Italy). As an example, if a document carries the apostille, the legalization by the Consulate General of Italy will no longer be required.

a) If a document  has been issued by the Authorities of Manitoba or North West Territories or if it has been notarized by Manitoba or NWT Authorities, the Apostille will be issued by Global Affairs Canada. 
Click here for information on the procedure to apply for an Apostille issued by Global Affairs Canada.

b) If a document has been issued or notarized in Ontario, the request for an Apostille will have to be sent to the Ministry for Public and Business Service Delivery of Ontario.
Click here for information on the procedure to apply for an Apostille issued by MPSBD Ontario.

If a document carries the Apostille, it does not require further legalization by this Consulate to be used in Italy.


DOCUMENTS ALREADY ISSUED BY CANADIAN AUTHORITIES: If you obtained your documents  prior to January 11, 2024 and they have already been authenticated (not apostillized) either by GAC or Provincial Authentication Service, in this transitional phase you can still send them to the Consulate without applying for an Apostille. The Consulate will have to legalize the signature of the Public Official who signed your certificate.  Please note that a consular fee is due for the legalization service (art. 7 of the Consular Fee).


During this transitional phase, the Consulate will keep legalizing translations carried out by ATIO certified translators whose signature is on file with this Consulate (list available here).  Please note that a consular fee is due for the legalization of translators’ signature (art. 69 of the Consular Fee).

If you wish to contact a translator not registered with our Consulate, you may do so but, in order for that translation to be used/recognized in Italy:

  1. You will have to have the translation notarized by a notary public/lawyer operating in Canada;
  2. Following point 1, you will have to apply for the Apostille issued either by Global Affairs Canada or by the Official Documents Service of Ontario, based on where your translation is notarized.

Once your translation is apostillized, no further legalization of the Consulate will be required.