This site uses cookies to provide a better experience. Continuing navigation accept the use of cookies by us OK

“Codice fiscale” (Italian social insurance number)


“Codice fiscale” (Italian social insurance number)

The “codice fiscale” is a personal identification number (similar to the Canadian social insurance number), which is assigned by the Agenzia delle Entrate (Italian taxation office), and serves to identify every Italian citizen (or non-Italian citizen) in their dealings with Italian government offices and agencies, no matter where they reside. The “codice fiscale” is necessary for all fiscal or legal transactions, and is valid for the holder’s lifetime.

The “codice fiscale”, which is made up of 16 characters referring to the person’s last name, first name, year, month and day of birth, sex and place of birth, may be requested through this Consulate General.

If you reside within this Consular jurisdiction and wish to obtain a “codice fiscale”, please submit, by regular mail providing a self-addressed and pre-paid return envelope with your application or by e-mail at the address:, the following:

- the application form (modulo AA4/8 ENG) duly completed and signed;

- your valid photo ID;

- your birth certificate, to confirm your particulars;

- your marriage certificate, if you are female and married, and your photo ID is in your married name only;

- a document proving that the applicant resides in this consular jurisdiction (utility bill, bank account , lease agreement, etc.).

Please note, that Italian legislation requires that the “codice fiscale” be issued with the particulars indicated on the
applicant’s birth certificate.

If you are requesting a “codice fiscale” on behalf of another person, that person’s authorization is also required.

If you are requesting a “codice fiscale” for a minor, valid photo ID for one of the parents is also required.

If you are requesting a “codice fiscale” for a person who is deceased, both the death certificate of the deceased and your valid
photo ID are also required.

This Consulate General cannot issue a laminated card with a "codice fiscale", we only issue paper certificates. To apply for a laminated card you must contact directly the "Agenzia delle Entrate" in Italy. 

If you lose your “codice fiscale”, you may request a copy thereof from this Consulate by submitting the same above mentioned




Updated on 25/10/2022